EX4500 switches ship with either the intraconnect module or the Virtual Chassis module preinstalled. Both modules are installed horizontally on the rear of chassis. However, only one of the modules can be installed at a given time. The intraconnect module helps the switch achieve line rate on all its ports. The VC module has 2 dedicated VCPs that can be used to interconnect the EX4500 switch with EX4200 or EX4500. The VC module must be installed in an EX4500 to form a VC. A mixed VC supports up to 2 EX4500 and up to 8 EX4200 switches. You can also interconnect EX4500 switches through SFP+ uplink module ports or SFP+network ports configured as VCPs.
Operating an EX4500 switch without the Intraconnect module or the Virtual Chassis module is not supported. EX4500 switches running Junos OS Release 10.4R2 or later will not boot if either the Intraconnect or the Virtual Chassis module is not installed. Optional uplink modules are available for EX4500 switches. Two uplink modules can be installed in an EX4500 switch. Each uplink module provides 4 SFP+ ports for connecting to core. You can install SFP or SFP+ transceivers in these ports. You can also configure the uplink module ports as VCPs to form a VC.
The front panel of an EX4500 switch consists of the following components:
- 40 SFP+ network ports
- Two slots for installing uplink modules—Installing the uplink modules is optional.
- Console port
- Management port
Both intraconnect & VC modules are offline FRUs. The SFP+ uplink module is a hot-insertable and hot-removable FRU.
EX4500 switches support SFP+ uplink modules. You can install up to 2 SFP+ uplink modules in an EX4500 switch. Both uplink modules install horizontally on the front of the chassis. The uplink module slot on the left is PIC 1. The uplink module slot on the right is PIC 2. Each SFP+ uplink module can house 4 10G SFP+ transceivers or 4 1-G SFP transceivers. When a new uplink module is installed in the switch or an existing uplink module is replaced with another uplink module, the switch detects the newly installed uplink module. The switch creates the required interfaces when new transceivers are installed in those ports. The operating mode for an SFP+ uplink module is shown in the output of the show chassis pic fpc-slot slot number pic-slot 1 command.
Cabling requirements for Virtual Chassis
You can interconnect EX4200 and EX4500 switches into a VC configuration through VCPs using the 0.5 meter long VC cable. The VC cable is supplied with an EX4200 switch but must be ordered separately for EX4500 switch models including models with preinstalled VC module. Depending on the VC configurations you have, you might need cables of different lengths.
- To interconnect EX4200 switches that are installed farther apart, you must configure the SPF+ uplink module ports as VC ports and use them to interconnect the switches.
- To interconnect EX4500 switches that are installed farther apart, you must configure either the uplink module ports or the SFP+ network ports as VC ports and use them to interconnect the switches. (The VC module must be installed in an EX4500 switch to form a VC)
EX4500 Default Configuration
- Interfaces xe-0/0/0 through xe-0/0/39 are the network interface ports.
- Optional uplink modules provide 4 10-gigabit SFP+ transceivers (xe-0/1/0 through xe-0/1/3) or 4 1-gigabit SFP transceivers (xe-0/2/0 through xe-0/2/3).